Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Crowded

.
I occasionally submit photos to on an on-line photo web challenge called Photo Friday, here ...
.
http://photofriday.com/
.
I mention this as an explanation for my occasional Blog picture posts without text.
.
This week's Photofriday challenge was the word 'Crowded'. As it happens, even though I live in London I haven't taken many crowded pictures as I usually do my best to avoid crowds.
.
There is this one, however, which I took in Mayfair. There was obviously some kind of funeral going on, which involved wrapping the deceased in a body bag and manhandling the bag around the the crowd. One section of the crowd, which was entirely male, stripped themselves to the waist and started beating themselves with whips to drum beats.
.
Curious to know the symbolism of what was taking place, I turned to a dark-skinned man watching the ceremony next to me and said 'Excuse me do you know what this is all about?'
.
And, in a very broad, and unmistakenly British East London accent he replied ...
.
'Search me mate. They must be Sunni's or something like that. I haven't the faintest. It's a bit strange 'innit'
.
and the moral of the story boys and girls? You got it ...
.
Never judge a book, or a person come to think of it, by its cover
.

No comments: