Saturday, December 23, 2006

Corporate Fascism ... it's ludicrously tasty

For anyone who has ever asked the question, as I have done many times, ‘What if George Orwell had advertised breakfast cereal?’…



CCTV controlled traffic lanes for Crunchy Nutters only


Well, they are ludicrously tasty

The really funny part about this ad is the thought that many of the people watching it will think it is satirical. Those will be the kind of people who shop at lovely big supermarkets because parking is easier than their local high street, now that all those new parking restrictions were put in by the local council, just after the new supermarket was built...

It’s not a satire. It’s a fucking documentary

As my old mate Benito used to say after a few chiantis 'Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power'.

Admittedly, he didn't have hazle nut-encrusted, honey-coated cornflakes in mind when he said that but now that light-hearted ads about private companies controlling and manipulating our infrastructure have started popping up on TV I like to think he would have had a chuckle.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I shop on my local high street because I don't have a car to get to a supermarket. Even when I did have a car I shopped on my local high street because I thought it an incredible waste of energy to drive to a supermarket. I think you're starting to scrape the curmudgeonliness-target barrel.

Stef said...

curmudgeon?

moi?

maybe

but I'm nowhere near scraping the barrel

and I know plenty of people who have quit their small businesses due in no small part to the disproportionate burdens placed on them by local and national government acting awfully like they have bigger business' interests at heart

my point, though arguably not eloquently put, is that almost without realising it we have surrendered functions that once were publicly accountable, through our so called democracies, over to private companies - be those functions something as mundane as controlling our traffic or less mundane such as running our schools and hospitals - and surprise sur-fuckingprise everything becomes an income stream, and it is managed as such. Even policing low level crime or teaching our kids to read.

So, on one level, the notion of traffic lanes for breakfast cereal is a bit of a laugh. On another level it might be worthwhile thinking why putting an ad like that out is more of a go-er now than it would have been 10 years ago