Sunday, February 06, 2005

Bubba Hotep

.
Tracy rented a copy of Bubba Hotep for me today. Marvellous. I've been meaning to see this film for some time I was not disappointed. Not a big film by any stretch of the imagination, and extremely silly and vulgar, it still is worth any Human Being's bread and honey. Assuming you find the idea of an aged Elvis Presley and an old Black man who thinks he's JFK joining forces to battle a cursed mummy in an East Texas retirement home amusing.
.
I do.
.
I also enjoyed the line in the end credits about how breaking the film's copyright would incur the wrath of Bubba Hotep. Yes, I read movie credits through to the end.
.
Watching the movie also reminded us that we haven’t taken a road trip through some godforsaken, trailer park-infested part of America for over a year now. I'll be checking flight prices next week.
.
The only problem I had with the movie is that it made a pretty strong statement about what it feels like to be left to die in a old people's home; and wondering what the point of your life was whilst you are waiting. This issue is dealt with in a sympathetic and ultimately positive way but I probably shouldn't have watched the film just now. I turn 40, touch wood, in a week's time and I was planning to give up smoking to mark the occasion.
.
This was never going to be easy and a film highlighting how little fun it is to be over 70 doesn’t help. Mind you, as a non smoker, Tracy would be happy if I quit. I don’t think she's entirely thought it through though. If Freud was right about the primary impulse behind the smoking habit, she's going to have one very sore pair of nipples for months to come.
.
I'm in serious danger of becoming a health freak at this rate. I was a strict vegetarian for 15 years until a few years ago. I've dabbled with meat on and off for the last few years and frequently roll Tracy one of my special joints on Sunday evenings. However, after a particularly unpleasant experience with 250g of Tesco's premium lean mince (lean, premium AND decomposed) earlier this week we both had a rabbit and agreed to go back to the way of chlorophyll.
.
Mmmm, packing in oily rags and turning vegetarian in the same month. Maybe, next month I'll buy a dachshund and invade Poland.
.
Readers' activity guide to this blog entry
  • There are at least three weak jokes hidden in today's blog. Can you find them?
    .
  • Cockney rhyming slang was used on three separate, completely gratuitous and potentially confusing occasions. Did you spot them?
    .
  • My personal favourite Sigmund Freud quote: 'I will kiss you quite red and feed you till you are plump. And if you are forward you shall see who is the stronger, a little girl who doesn't eat enough or a big strong man with cocaine in his body. In my last serious depression I took cocaine again and a small dose lifted me to the heights in a wonderful fashion. I am just now collecting the literature for a song of praise to this magical substance.'
    .
  • The very wonderful Chinese Elvis has recently updated his Chinese Elvis home page, here:
    .
    http://www.chineseelvis.com/
    .
  • Famous non-smoking, animal loving vegetarians of the 20th Century:
    .
    Adolf Hitler
    Benito Mussolini
    William Shatner
(To my knowledge none of these three names, not even William Shatner's, has ever been used in Cockney Rhyming Slang).
.

No comments: