Monday, October 09, 2006

London ... it's paved with gold

A while ago I mentioned that I had started 'collecting' pictures of Ben Wilson's chewing gum art. I eventually bagged 200+ before I stopped having cause to visit High Barnet - the spiritual home of acrylic coated gum.

And, unfortunately, since then I haven't been able to get out much. Which is a real shame as we appear to be living through a Golden Age of Pavement Beautification here in London.

First, grafitti started heading floor-wards...



Then Ben started his gum pics...




Later on the Little People blogspot got going (and just gets better and better)...




and now... toast




Marvellous


I can't wait to see what the next bored sod with a digital camera and time on their hands comes up with next.


2 comments:

David said...

I think it's just everyone's way to try and brighten up some otherwise dismal streets. Better than spraypaint for sure. Hasn't come this side of the North Circ. yet though.

jackenstein of all trades said...

Bumped into Ben again the other day and it came to me just then that the light pollution in london which prevents us from seeing the night sky coupled with the politically motived pollution that drowns out most of our rational throught these days has led us to seek some solice in the simpler things of urban living (or perhaps that's just me):
to paraphrase Wilde "We are all in the gutter, [so that is where] some of us [have taken to painting] the stars"