Friday, December 12, 2008
So, who's next then?
Just in from Sky News...
The mother of Jean Charles de Menezes has said she feels "reborn" after a jury at an inquest into her son's death rejected a verdict of lawful killing
The 10 jurors returned an open verdict after listening to more than seven weeks of evidence into the 27-year-old's death.
Earlier, Mr de Menezes' family had said the inquest was a "whitewash" after the coroner said the jury could not return a verdict of unlawful killing.
But after the jury rejected a string of claims made by police officers about the events leading up to Mr de Menezes being killed, Maria Otone de Menezes said she was relieved.
In a statement read out at a news conference by the family, Mrs de Menezes said: "Since the moment that the coroner ruled out the option of unlawful killing I was feeling very sad.
"But today I feel as if I have been reborn."
In a damning indictment, they dismissed claims by a firearms officer, codenamed C12, that he shouted "armed police" before opening fire.
The jury also disputed that Mr de Menezes had walked towards officers before he was killed.
The jurors concluded that six police failings caused or contributed to the innocent man's death.
The jury of five men and five women came to a majority of eight to two in delivering their open verdict. Of the remaining 12 questions, the jury were unanimous on all but two of them.
Firearms officers shot Mr de Menezes on a train at Stockwell Tube station in south London on July 22, 2005, after mistaking him for failed suicide bomber Hussain Osman.
As the jury returned its verdict after its sixth day of deliberations, the Menezes family accused coroner Sir Michael Wright of "presiding over a complete whitewash".
In a fierce attack, they said he "failed on every count" during proceedings.
After the hearing, acting Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson said: "We must and do accept full responsibility for his death.
"For someone to lose their life in such circumstances is something the Metropolitan Police regrets.
"In the face of enormous challenges faced by officers on that day, we made a most terrible mistake. I am sorry."
He said officers had been working in a "unique situation" in the wake of the July 7 suicide bombings - in which 52 people were killed - and the attempted terror attacks in the capital on July 21, after which there were potential bombers on the loose.
"No one set out that day to kill an innocent man. The coroner has ruled that on the extensive evidence put to the court that this was not an unlawful killing."
He said the officers who shot the Brazilian "set out with the intent to protect and defend the public".
Some 100 people gave evidence at the inquest into the death of Mr de Menezes.
Among them were 65 police officers, mostly firearms and surveillance experts, 50 of whom were granted anonymity.
The jury also heard from 17 Tube passengers and Mr de Menezes's cousins.
There was much anticipation that former Met Commissioner Sir Ian Blair could give evidence, but he resigned just under two weeks into the inquest.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission called for a review of police procedures in the wake of the shooting.
IPCC chairman Nick Hardwick said the inquest did not "examine the broader issue of how the police should respond to the threat of suicide terrorism.
"I call again for this to have much broader debate and scrutiny by the public and their representatives," he said.
Sky News crime reporter Martin Brunt said it was a "distinct possibility" that the IPCC, which initially cleared those involved of any wrongdoing, would choose to review that decision.
He said that since the jury had effectively decided that the firearms officers had lied about giving a warning before the shooting, disciplinary action was a possibility.
Needless to say, and contrary to the bullshit being parroted by the BBC, Sky and all the others, no-one has yet proved that De Menezes' executioners made any mistake whatsoever when they killed an innocent man.
The only thing that has been proved is that the executioners and their bosses have lied through their fucking teeth about the execution and that the full force of the establishment was used to slander an innocent victim after he was killed
And no amount of corporate media spin can hide that
and, in the light of the fact that the bastards who ordered the execution are completely unrepentant and have openly, and repeatedly, stated that it could very easily happen again, it's also fucking scary
edit: actually, something else was proved in the inquest and that is the police knew full well that JCdM was not carrying anything that could have been a bomb and therefore could not have been a potential bomber
Rest assured that little nugget is going to be filed away in the same memory hole as the revelation earlier this year that the alleged 7/7 bombers supposedly scattered their ID, personal effects and bombs around the crowded tube carriages before setting their bombs off (?!!)
and conspiracy theorists are supposedly mentally unwell because they're sceptical of official narratives? For fuck's sake...