Friday, November 28, 2008
Giving up Liberties for Freedom pt315
I've just been booking tickets for my dear old Mum to fly to New Zealand next year
You can either fly via Asia or via the US. If you travel through the US you get twice the baggage allowance
Unfortunately, my Mum's passport isn't one of the new chipped jobbies required to travel through the US - which means she has to either get a new passport or apply for a C1 Transit Visa...
C-1 Visa - Transit
In general, travelers in transit through the United States require valid C-1 visas. That is unless they are eligible to transit the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), or they are a national of a country which has an agreement with the United States allowing their citizens to travel to the United States without visas.
If you are not eligible to transit the United States under the VWP, or are not a national of a country where visa requirements are waived, you will be required to apply for a transit (C-1) visa before traveling.
All C-1 visa applicants, even children and babies listed in parents' passports are required to:
* Complete the visa application form DS-156.
* Pay a visa application fee;
* Present a passport or other travel document valid for at least six months beyond the holder's period of stay in the United States with at least one blank page - the six-month requirement does not apply to United Kingdom passports;
* Provide one photograph which meet State Department regulations;
and present evidence of
* sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the United States; and
* evidence to show that the applicant has a residence abroad to which he/she intends to return at the end of the stay in the United States. This is generally established by evidence of family, professional, property, employment or other ties and commitments to some country other than the United States sufficient to cause the applicant to return there at the conclusion of his/her stay.
plus, of course, there's the compulsory fingerprinting of all arrivals to the US, even if they're transiting on the way to somewhere else
We've opted to give the Land of the Free a miss and fly through Commie controlled Hong Kong instead