Thank you Noel for sending me this link which plots a graph of the historical popularity of babies' names since 1900:
I think it needs Java to run. I also think it is based on American data, and Anglo Saxon American data at that; given that names like Jesus and Osama don't appear to figure in the results at all.
In addition to being a welcome distraction from the political mania that has overtaken me and my blog (well, it's better than shouting at people on the bus) I have also learned a few things ...
- Nobody has been christened Mavis since 1960
- Doreen production ceased in 1980
- A disturbingly high number of boy childes have been christened Tracy over the last 50 years
- If you meet someone called Dickie he is at least 45 years old
- There are no real Jezebels out there (boo!)