Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Death Pt.1



And so the long weekend has come to an end and all the commuters are travelling back to work looking even more hacked-off than they usually do at the start of the week.

I travelled on the Tube during rush hour for the first time in a long time on Thursday morning. I haven’t missed the experience much. Sitting on the already packed Victoria line at 7.30am I was looking at and smelling all the glum people pressed around me and I kept thinking


‘I’m off to spend the morning in a clinic with my sick father surrounded by old people with bladder cancer and I’m still happier than you’


The chances of me returning to the rat race in any way other than kicking and screaming are as remote as ever.


Waiting rooms occupied by people with bladder cancer are not exactly fun places. It’s virulent and the sufferers usually quite old. Where’s Robin Williams playing one of his inspirational doctor roles when you need him? He could cure everyone with the gift of laughter and afterwards they could all sing a song together and eat cookies.


Carpe Diem boys and girls. Carpe Diem.

.

No comments: