Saturday, March 26, 2005

Bring Me My Bow of Burning Gold ...


Reasons why all pictures of William Blake's headstone are shown
tighly cropped No.14 - Unisex Toilet


... and that's Ian in the background, immediately after availing himself of William Blake's Headstone's extensive visitor facilities after one Mars Milk drink too many


Jerusalem - William Blake

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire.

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Albion - England, but humanity in general - has lost its soul - Jerusalem - to unfeeling abstract materialism.

Los - our creative imagination - awakens Albion from its fitful sleep and returns Jerusalem - its soul - to this "green and pleasant land" ... and to "all the world" (JL).

Blake understood the power of an image engraved on a copper plate.

Today its bloggers like you with digital cameras and keyboards who post images that lighten dark corners and words that enlighten dark minds.

THANKS!!

-- a fellow traveller, now five generations from London in butterfly miles.

Stef said...

Mmmmm, now I know that some butterflies can do 12mph on a good day but I haven't got the foggiest how long they live for. So I'm stumped. A nice image though ...

Anonymous said...

I think 'butterfly miles' can be either a metaphoric or a metaphallic catchphrase depending upon its present participle, as in 'butter-flying' or 'buttering-up', but I forget which :-)